Palais De Justice
Paris, France - 2013
Situated in the same building complex as the “Palais de Justice” (Law Court), the “Conciergerie”, which medieval towers overlook the “quai de l’Horloge”, is the main vestige of the “Palais de la Cité” which has been abandoned by the royal power at the end of the XIVth century. During the Restoration period , the architect Antoine-Marie Peyre restored the side part, where had reigned under the Reign of Terror, the revolutionary court who sent the suspects imprisoned on site to the guillotine. A vast extension program preordained to receive the different judicial services was launched during the July monarchy, restructuring the whole site by successive phases until the beginning of the XXth century.
We have led the restoration of the “Conciergerie” buildings and the one of the “Grande Tour”, erected at the corner of the boulevard. The polychrome clock which gives its name to the quai was the first public clock of the capital. Ordered by Charles V around 1371, it has been revised under Henri the 3rd and largely redone under the Second Empire, period during which the sculptures created by Germain Pilon on both sides of the dial have been replaced. The bright and brilliant colours of the clock, as well as the gilding and the mechanism, have been carefully revised following the description of 1852 preserved at the National Library.
- Paris, France